University Identification Numbers and Requests for Tax Forms

University of Alberta identification numbers may be required when completing forms necessary to conduct University business and when applying for grants.

Additional numbers that may be required in connection with applications and proposals for research grants are available on the Research Services Office Website. Refer to Research Services Office: University Identification Numbers.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Identification Numbers

Business Number (BN)

10810 2831

GST/HST Number

10810 2831 RT0001

Import/Export Number

10810 2831 RM0004

Payroll Number - Salary

Payroll Number - Casual

10810 2831 RP0001

10810 2831 RP0003

Registered Charity Number(1)

10810 2831 RR0001

(1) External organizations requiring verification as to the University’s current registered charity status may refer to the CRA Charities Listing.

Other Identification Numbers

Controlled Goods Registration Number


Dun and Bradstreet (DUNS) Number


Federal Contractors Number



Requests for Tax Forms (Revenue from Foreign Entities)

Units may be asked by a foreign entity to confirm the University’s tax status. Send the following requests and all details regarding the transaction to Financial Services ( with the subject line “Tax Status Confirmation”.

  • W-8BEN-E Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Internal Revenue Service)
  • Certification  of Residency (Canada Revenue Agency)